Khichuri is a simple-to-prepare detoxifying meal that most people can tolerate for at least a few days. It’s a mixture of basmati rice and mung beans.
- ½ whole mung beans (soaked overnight if possible)
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 tbsp clarified butter (ghee)
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground fennel
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp salt
- 4½ cup water
- Wash the rice in cool water and combine with the soaked mung beans in a 6 quart pot.
- Add 4½ cups water. Bring the water to a boil, then reduce the heat and cook until most of the water is absorbed (about 30-40 mins).
- Melt the clarified butter on low heat in a frying pan and gently roast the spices.
- Add the spices to the rice and bean mix and continue cooking until the mixture is the consistency of a loose stew.
- If you desire, you can add chopped vegetables (spinach, zucchini, carrots, and the like) during this last cooking phase.