This is a delicious old fashioned dessert, but also a favourite for afternoon tea.
Date Mixture Ingredients:
- 1 cup dates
- 1 cup lemon juice
- ½ cup water
- ¼ tsp cinnamon (optional)
- ½ cup blueberries (optional)
Oat Mixture Ingredients – blend together:
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ½ tsp bicarbonate soda
- ½ cup brown sugar to taste (up to ⅔ cup)
- 2 cups rolled oats or other grains (alternately ½ cup seeds or nuts)
- ⅓ cup butter
- ¼ cup apple juice
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Place half of the oat mixture into the bottom of an 8″ x 8″ baking pan. Press down well to create the bottom crust.
- Spread the date mixture evenly over the crust.
- Crumble remaining oat mixture on top and press down lightly to secure.
- Bake at 325°F for 30 minutes.