Kitchari is a traditional Ayurvedic recipe that’s nourishing, easy to digest, and promotes whole body healing.
½ cup yellow split pea mung beans
1 tbsp ghee
1 tsp black mustard seeds
2″ cinnamon bark
2 cardamom pods
¼ tsp turmeric
1 inch ginger finely chopped
¼ tsp cumin
¼ tsp coriander
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup basmati rice
6 cups filtered water
- Rinse and soak mung beans in filtered water for 30 mins.
- Heat ghee in a stove top pot on med-low.
- Add mustard seeds and cook until they pop.
- Add the rest of the spices and sauté for a few minutes to release the fragrances.
- Add the rice and beans.
- Mix well with the spices
- Add the water and bring to a boil.
- Simmer on low for 15-20 mins.
- Stir occasionally, and serve.