Darin’s Coconut Curried Vegetables
Like many Indian dishes, this is so unbelievably easy, easy, easy, and delicious!
- ¼ cup grapeseed oil
- 1 small handful fresh curry leaves (around 25)
- 1 tbsp mustard seeds (preferably black)
- 2 medium onions, finely-chopped
- 4 tbsp chopped garlic
- 2 large (2 cups) chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 lb eggplant cut into 1” cubes
- 1 lb cauliflower, small florets
- 1 lb sweet peppers
- ¾ cup chopped cilantro
- ½ cup cooked rice per person
If you do not wish to use the eggplant, cauliflower or sweet peppers, try zucchini or fennel.
- Heat oil to a medium-high heat, add curry leaves and mustard seeds and then cook for 1 min or until the mustard seeds begin to pop (do not burn).
- Reduce heat to medium and add onions to the pot and cook for 5 mins.
- Add garlic and cook for a further 2 mins.
- Now, add the tomatoes, cumin, turmeric, cayenne, salt, black pepper, and coconut milk.
- Simmer for 5 mins.
- Add your choice of vegetables and simmer for a further 10 mins.
Serves 6 – or serves 10 as a side dish.