- 8 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup light molasses
- ¼ cup boiling water
- 1¾ cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3 tbsp flavours (crystallized ginger, candied orange peel, candied lemon peel – optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 9″x 9″ baking dish with room temperature butter.
- Sift dry ingredients into a bowl.
- Beat 8 tbsp of unsalted butter until creamy.
- Gradually add 1 large egg and ¼ cup of packed brown sugar until fluffy (approximately 2-3 minutes).
- Gradually beat in 1 cup of light molasses.
- Stir in dry ingredients.
- Once combined, add ¼ cup of boiling water.
- At this point, you can mix in some interesting flavours. For example, crystallized ginger, candied orange peel, or candied lemon peel. If you are going to do this, limit it to 3 tablespoons.
- Pour mixture into baking dish and bake for 35-40 mins.
- When you insert a toothpick into the centre of the cake, it should come out dry. Turn ginger bread out onto a cooling rack and allow it to cool until it is no longer steaming.