This is an incredibly easy recipe which involves no cooking and very little cutting of vegetables.
Fantastic for the summer and a great snack! We suggest that you use heirloom tomatoes or some of the slightly tastier varieties.
- 2 lbs heirloom tomatoes
- 2 cups country bread cubed (crusts removed)
- 1 cucumber peeled, seeded and chopped
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup chopped red onion
- ½ tsp cumin
- 2 dashes of Tabasco sauce
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cherry tomatoes (halved) to garnish
- Basil or thyme to garnish (optional)
- Cut tomatoes in half and squeeze out the seeds and juice into a bowl.
- Remove tomatoes from the bowl and roughly chop.
- Strain the seeds and juice and add the juice to the chopped tomatoes.
- Add the cubed bread and Tabasco to the tomatoes and leave to stand for at least 1 hour.
- Add all the ingredients to the tomato and bread mixture and put through the blender in batches. If it looks a little too thick, add some water. Season to taste.
- Ladle soup into serving bowls and garnish with halved cherry tomatoes. You can also garnish with some herbs, especially basil or thyme.
The consistency of this soup will vary according to the varieties of tomatoes used. You may have to use more bread if the texture is too watery.